Samsung recently announced that it would release a new smartphone featuring a curved display in October. However, it did not offer any details on the phone’s name or specifications.
A new report now claims to shed some light on a new Samsung phone that would come with a flexible display. Citing sources aware of the development, AndroidSaS reports that Samsung will release a new flagship phone sporting a flexible display. It claims that Samsung will shortly reveal the device.
It even details the purported specifications of the device. According to the report, the phone is expected to sport a 4.7-inch HD display featuring a resolution of 720x1280pixels. It would be powered by a quad-core CPU along with 2GB of RAM and feature an 8-megapixel camera with dual LED flash. The phone would run Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
The name of the device is not known but it will use the Galaxy sub-brand, as per the report.
While Samsung has not officially confirmed a flexible display equipped phone, the company’s mobile business head of strategic marketing, D.J. Lee, had said that Samsung plans to introduce a smartphone with a curved display in South Korea in October.
Curved displays are an early stage in screen evolution which is shifting to bendable or foldable designs, eventually allowing mobile and wearable gadgets to take on new forms that could radically change the high-end smartphone market.
It was also previously rumoured that the South Korean giant was planning to launch the Galaxy Note 3 in a new avatar, sporting a flexible OLED (organic light-emitting diode) display. The alleged Galaxy Note 3 with OLED display might be unveiled ahead of Samsung Electronics Show to be held in Las Vegas at CES 2014.
Samsung’s rival, LG is also rumoured to be working on a smartphone with a curved display which will be based on plastic OLED screen technology.
- Specifications of Samsung’s alleged flexible display phone surface (anandsilora.wordpress.com)
- LG’s flexible display phone will be known as the LG Z (thedroidguy.com)
- LG Z: First Flexible Display Device (goandroid.co.in)
- LG and Samsung now confirmed to announce a flexible display smartphones as early as next week (phonearena.com)
- Samsung Working On Galaxy Note 3 With Flexible Display – Report (eurasiareview.com)
- LG ‘G Flex’ phone with flexible 6-inch display rumored for unveiling next month (engadget.com)